Pages

Monday, July 31, 2006

Monte Montgomery

Those of you who are fans of Austin music will tell me I'm way behind if I'm just now running across Monte Montgomery, but I ran across his music just this week.

The Saturday paper said he was playing at Antones, and the write-up made me think I'd probably like him. So I listened to clips on iTunes and downloaded a few songs. When I checked his website, I noticed in the discography that he had a song called "In the Gaze of the Spotlight's Eye." I knew that song from listening to Mark Heard albums about 20 years back. Heard died of a heart attack at 40 about 10 years ago or so, but I was a big fan back in my seminary days.

I couldn't make it out to the Antones show, but he was playing solo at the Saxon Pub this past Wednesday, so I went with Michael, Stephen and Angela.

It's a small venue, and he was standing by our table before he went on, so I introduced myself and told him it was our first night to hear him. I asked him about "In the Gaze," and how he knew about Heard. He said he used to listen to a lot of Christian music in the past. Sounds like an interesting story, but we didn't have any more time to talk.

About 4 songs into the show, though, he started in on "Moonflower," another Mark Heard tune from the same album (Eye of the Storm). He looked my way afterward and said, "Well, I tried; it's been a while." I let him know he did great with it! And the rest of his show was fantastic, too. Be sure to hear this local artist whenever you can! And if you're a Monte fan, let me know!

No comments: