Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

God's Gym

I admit it. I have an unusual way to count off my reps during my exercise routine.

Like most people who work out, I do three sets of ten with my weight-lifting or push-ups or (yuk) sit-ups. But I have a different way to count to ten. I count the first motion with, “The fruit of the Spirit is. . . .” and I continue the count by saying, “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.”

That’s a line from Scripture that’s worth memorizing--Galatians 5:22-23. There Paul lists the “fruit” or “outcome” of a life controlled by the Holy Spirit. I use the list in my exercise routine to remind me of the character God wants to form in me. The Bible says, “Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come” (1 Timothy 4:8). So, while I work out in my home gym, I review how I’m developing in God’s Gym, too.

Look at that list again. Think about each word carefully: “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.” Who would not want this kind of life? The Bible promises that this kind of life can be ours as we depend upon the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit.

In other words, the nine fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 isn’t a “to do” list. Instead, it’s evidence. The more you yield to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the more these nine qualities will show up in your life.

If we’re going to depend upon the Holy Spirit’s guidance and power, we need to know more about the Spirit. That’s our topic this Sunday morning at Hillcrest. We’ve been going line by line through the ancient Apostles Creed, and this Sunday we’ll examine what it means to say, “I believe in the Holy Spirit.”

If you live in the Austin area, join us this Sunday at 9:30am or 10:45am for this important study. To catch up with the series, listen online (iTunes or website). You can receive a free book when you attend Hillcrest during our current sermon series, or you can order copies online by clicking here. To learn more about the book, read the introduction by clicking here or check out the website at www.AnchorCourse.org.

No comments: