Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Jonesin’ for Recognition

Ever heard of the hit song, “Summer of ‘75?”

No?

In his chart-topping "Summer of '69," Bryan Adams sang about "the best days of my life": getting his first real six-string, playing in a band, working at the drive-in, and the first blush of love.

You know, all the things that 8-year-olds do.

Adams' co-writer, Jim Vallance was 19 in the summer of 69. But the man who made the song famous was 8 in that pivotal year for the Baby Boomer generation. So was I.

I'm not sure why Bryan Adams decided to sing about the definitive high school years of his collaborator instead of his own, but I'm thinking it was because the record company decision-makers didn’t think anyone would find a song about the "Summer of 75" relevant to the listening audience.

And that's the problem.

Adams and I and a whole bunch of people who have always been told that we're Boomers simply don't identify with Boomer "defining moments"--
Leave it to Beaver? Um, I remember the reruns.

The Kennedy and King assassinations? I was 2 and 7, respectively.

The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show? I was 3.

Woodstock? I was 8.

The Nixon resignation? I was 13, but I sorta remember my parents watching the news the day it happened.
Clearly the traditional definition of a Boomer as anyone born between 1946 and 1964 just isn't a workable definition.

Enter Jonathan Pontell and his book, "Generation Jones." Pontell identifies another cohort that's part of neither the Baby Boomers or Generation X. He calls those born between 1954 and 1965 the "Generation Jones" cohort. We constitute 26 percent of all U.S. adults today.

He must have hit a nerve, because the year after Pontell came out with his book in 2000, the concept of a "Generation Jones" was discussed on over 500 television, radio and print media outlets. Since then, the generational identity has been discussed on CNN, MSNBC, and covered heavily during the 2006 elections. Universities even teach courses on Jonesers.

Are you a Joneser? Take this pop quiz and find out. It'll be a walk down memory lane for some of you. (I got 9 out of 10, by the way.) Pontell's Generation Jones website will get the nostalgic juices flowing, too.

Why the name “Generation Jones”? For one, Pontell says, because “Jones” connotes anonymity, like a “Generation Smith” or “Generation Doe,” and until recently, this cohort in the shadow of the Boomers was practically unknown. But the label also connects with the slang term “jones”: a craving for someone or something. Generation Jones came of age in the late 1970s and early 1980s with a certain unrequited, “jonesin” quality. Consider their songs: Gary Wright's Dream Weaver, Bruce Springsteen's Hungry Heart, or U2's I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. The generation's movies also share that restlessness, such as Fame, St. Elmo's Fire and Sleepless in Seattle.

We came of age in what many consider “a slum of a decade,” according to David Frum, and most of us who were in high school in the 70s would agree. Frum says that people “like to glorify the 60s as the time when all cool things happened [and so] this generation just got swept under the carpet.”

Suzanne Fields in the Washington Times says, “If they’re not ‘the lost generation’ they’re invisible to most of our cultural commentators.”

“Growing up I always felt I was the only person my age. They spoke in the media as if everyone was 15 years older than me,” said Tamara Ruiz, whose 1964 birthday makes her one of the last Boomers according to the definition given by most demographers.

“Coming of age politically in the late 1970s and early 1980s,” Pontell says, “Joneses were the much discussed ‘Reagan Youth,’ and is the most conservative U.S. generation by a considerable margin.”

Still, most of us Jonesers would agree with Malcolm White of the Know media agency in the U.K., who said that Jonesers “have that ‘now or never quality of early middle-age that if they don’t pursue their dreams of self-realization soon, they probably never will.”

These reflections of mine aren't meant to divide, and I don't share Pontell's harsh way of distinguishing Jonesers from Boomers. I'd have no trouble being called a Boomer if the label ever stretched wide enough to include my defining high school experiences. Since no one ever stretches the label that wide, though, I'm attracted to Pontell's attempts to give my age range a little sharper definition.

To me, then, it's about defining, not dividing. I gladly serve a church made up adults in their 20s to adults in their 90s. I'm glad to be an "honorary member" of each age group's social circles. In the end, as the song goes, "I'm so glad I'm a part of the Family of God." But we can better understand each other in the Family only when we understand the cultural factors that were in play when each generation came "of age."

7 comments:

Tamara said...

I'm '66 and I'm definitely a Generation X-er. Funny how that year really does seem to make a difference. I only scored 5 on the quiz. I'm more 80s than 70s. Back when MTv was good... (yes, I watched it the first day, after school at a friend's house) :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a '63 model and only got 1 right on your quiz. This could be because I really wasn't into pop culture at the time. I went to a christian high school and popular music and movies were forbidden, so I missed that whole thing. And I'm kind of glad.

I don't want to be one of those embarassing old people that clings to things of any decade. I think "Gen Y" (people in college now) are the hope for our world; they care, they're motivated and they take action. As a "non-traditional" college student I'm around this group a lot, and find that they have few barriers: They're doing away with these generational labels as well as racial, orientation and political lines. A large % of this group is mixed-race and have friends from all generations, so they don't tend to identify with groups of people just like themselves.

Also, you'll note that this generation listens to music from the last 75 years -- not just current music. You'll find Tupac, AC/DC and Johnny Cash on their Ipods, all mixed together. Their lines are gone!

Sorry to blog on your blog there. Got carried away. :-)

Tom Goodman said...

Susan P. has a good point about those in college mixing it all together. I have one in college and one in 12th and their tastes range wide. As I said, though, the blog post wasn't about dividing but defining. Definition, by definition, requires setting definition somewhere. There are clear characteristics of the WW2 generation that you don't see in those who didn't live thru the Depression, for example. In my role as a leader of many generations, I'm a better communicator and leader if I try to think about those generational characteristics.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious which question you didn't know on the quiz Tom. :)

Anonymous said...

As a '62 and someone who studies consumer behavior for a living, the Jones generation is a tough one. My wife and I were just discussing how it seems everyone my age has just suddenly disappeared...I'm in a tech/entertainment field, and I'm always the oldest person there. Where have all of our generation gone to? Everyone is 25, 35 or 55.

With a brother 12 years my senior, I'm definitely not a 'boomer. And the slacker X-generation never called me either.

We're not targeted by TV, movies, consumer goods or services companies.

I do feel like I'm on a frontage road sometimes, rather than on the main freeway. JJ is driving behind me, and Alex P. Keaton just in front.

Tom, your entry was right on every front.

Maybe we need a Jonser Support Group -- straddling the chasm of two very disparate generations, who else but a Jonser understands us...

And the fact that I can still sing the tune to every TV show from 77-84?

Thanks for a great blog entry!

Tom Goodman said...

Adam asked which question I missed on the Joneser quiz. It was #2, although I admit I only got three of the four Sweathogs. By the way, did anyone see the SNL send up, "Welcome Back, Potter," with an aging Harry Potter returning to the Hogwarts?

Anonymous said...

Born just as 1960 was rolling in I have always thought of myself as a silent generational. We have now voice, no one wants our opinions, we didn't want to march around and change the world. My parents were beatnicks turned hippies and my Dad in classic form dumped us and ran off to Haight Ashbury to find the summer of Love. The rest of the family had to find some other way to live within a commune. Woodstock? I was about 9 and a half.
I have decided to stop being responsible for everyone else's wellbeing and go find my dream. Maybe that is where all the 40 somethings have gone? To actually get to have a dream? By the time we were in college it was all about making money because inflation was already rearing it's ugly head, I still remember my Dad waiting an hour or more in line for gas before I could be allowed to drive, I kinda recall Nixons resignation but that was social studies history to me.
I remember a lot of the TV shows and their tunes, the current 70's music which I still listen to today because it was GOOD. I played Pong and fell in love with computer games, arcades were all the rage after that. Anyone remember going to those things with your quarters?It was the cool place to hang out.
If people are not going to listen to me or sell to me because I am not a boomer or an X er then I better find something fun to do with my money and time. Guess what, we actually have money to burn.