Pages

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Song of the Week: Bob Dylan's "When He Returns"


Listen to Bob Dylan singing "When He Returns" from his 1979 album, Slow Train Coming:

Bob Dyan's "When He Returns"

The entire album was written from the perspective of his conversion to Christ (which I mentioned in an earlier post). It was electrifying, and controversial. He received a Grammy for the project. Catherine Kanner, the cover art designer for Slow Train Coming, recalls, "He [Dylan] described the image he wanted: He wanted a train and a pick axe with a symbol of the cross. I was Jewish and he was, so it was a little weird, but how often do you get an opportunity like that?"
The iron hand it ain't no match
For the iron rod
The strongest wall
Will crumble and fall
To a mighty God

For all those who have eyes
And all those who have ears
It is only He
Who can reduce me to tears

Don't you cry
And don't you die
And don't you burn
Like a thief in the night,
He'll replace wrong with right
When he returns.

Truth is an arrow
And the gate is narrow
That is passes through

He unreleased His power
At an unknown hour
That no one knew

How long can I listen to
The lies of prejudice?
How long can I stay drunk on fear
Out in the wilderness?

Can I cast it aside,
All this loyalty and this pride?
Will I ever learn
That there'll be no peace,
That the war won't cease
Until He returns?

Surrender your crown
On this blood-stained ground,
Take off your mask

He sees your deeds,
He knows your needs
Even before you ask

How long can you falsily and deny
What is real?
How long can you hate yourself
For the weakness you conceal?

Of every earthly plan
That be known to man,
He is unconcerned
He's got plans of his own
To set up His throne
When He returns.

1 comment:

THOMAS GRASTY said...

It's one of my favorite songs. And since it seems to be one of yours a well, I thought I'd introduce you to my new novel, BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, which I think you'd enjoy.

It's a murder-mystery. But not just any rock superstar is knocking on heaven's door. The murdered rock legend is none other than Bob Dorian, an enigmatic, obtuse, inscrutable, well, you get the picture...

Suspects? Tons of them. The only problem is they're all characters in Bob's songs.

You can get a copy on Amazon.com or go "behind the tracks" at www.bloodonthetracksnovel.com to learn more about the book.