Pages

Saturday, September 06, 2008

DNC Prayers: Sweet and Sour

Joel Hunter, pastor of the Northland megachurch near Orlando, identifies as an evangelical but he closed his prayer at the Democratic National Convention like an interfaith chaplain: “I want to personalize this. I want this to be a participatory prayer. And so therefore, because we are in a country that is still welcoming all faiths, I would like all of us to close this prayer in the way your faith tradition would close your prayer. So on the count of three, I want all of you to end this prayer, your prayer, the way you usually end prayer. You ready? One, two, three.” Hunter, on his own behalf, spoke into the microphone, “In Jesus’ name, Amen,” while 80,000 or so other people were free to name their own God or gods. (YouTube)

So much better was the prayer of Donald Miller earlier in the DNC. Miller is author of books like Blue Like Jazz. I don't agree with everything Miller writes or says, unlike my college minister (grin). But I'm glad Miller's always unapologetic in his evangelical identity. The whole prayer is worth hearing, and he closed it with: “Thank you for blessing us in so many ways as Americans. I make these requests in the name of your son, Jesus, who gave his own life against the forces of injustice. Let Him be our example. Amen." (YouTube)

As a pastor who has been asked to lead prayers at civic events, legislative sessions, and business dinners, I know how sensitive people have become to a prayer's ending. Hunter's solution, however, is unacceptable. Miller's is the approach I take: I won't be divisive, but I assume I've been invited to pray my own prayer over the assembly instead of trying to give voice to something everyone can agree on.

No comments: