Pages

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Song of the Week: This Thorn

I'm not always in the mental/spiritual place Twila Paris was when she wrote this. But it's my goal. From 1990, here's "This Thorn."



Her reference to "this thorn" is from 2 Cor 12:7-10. Lyrics:

Thank you for this thorn embedded in my flesh
I can feel the mystery, my spirit is made fresh
You are sovereign still and forever wise
I can see the miracle opening my eyes
To a proud heart so quick to judge
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges
The veil has been torn
And I thank you for this thorn

Thank you for this thorn--
fellowship of pain--
Teaching me to know you more
never to complain
Thank You for this love planted in my side
Faithful patient miracle opening my eyes

I never thought I'd say it without reservation
But I am truly grateful for this piercing revelation
Of a proud heart so quick to judge
Laying down crosses and carrying grudges
The veil has been torn
And I thank you for this thorn

And if You chose to take it, I will praise You
And thank You for the healing in Your name
But if it must remain, I thank You for Your rod
Evidence of Father-love for a child of God

I join You in the sorrow
So much less than You have borne
And I thank you, really I thank You
Lord I thank You,
I thank You for this thorn

No comments: