Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2012

“Isn’t Christianity Weird?”

I sat in a pew on a Sunday afternoon recently, awaiting the start of my sons' piano recital. Their teacher had rented a church for the occasion, and the families of her pupils - some of whom had apparently not been in a church for some time, if ever - were staring at the images all around them. As a father and daughter behind me began to remark on the pictures they saw, I was struck again by this basic principle of Christianity's strangeness.

"Isn't Christianity weird?" the teenager said to her father in a stage whisper. "I mean, all these pictures of a dead guy on a cross. All this blood and suffering and stuff."

"Yeah," her father replied with a nervous chuckle. "It's gross, isn't it? I don't get it."

Figuring out why this man and his daughter don't get it is the task of the listening Christian friend.

Humble Apologetics, John Stackhouse Jr., pp. 163-164

No comments: