Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Glorifying God Through Mental Disorder

It seems the only time the public pays attention to mental disorders is after a sensational tragedy. James Holmes is the most recent example. (Officially the word "alleged" still belongs in reports about his actions in the Aurora movie theater.)

Because of this imperfect way of learning about our world, the general public has a very skewered understanding of a heartbreaking struggle.


That's why this post from Matt Rendulic is so helpful. While a Princeton student, he was diagnosed with severe bipolar affective psychosis. (Though mental disorders are incipient from prenatal life, they seem to manifest in very young adulthood.) Rendulic was given intervention, accepted help, and depended on God. He now serves as a worship arts pastor in Pennsylvania. He's decided to be open about his struggle:

I’ve grown tired in the past few years of acting as if nothing is wrong with me; so 2012 is the year I will be “glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses. . . . For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:9, 10).

How has God used his manic depression?

The fruit of God’s work in my life is apparent in that God has taken my melancholy and made it a deep concern for those who suffer with loneliness and their own mental darkness. He’s allowed me to foster concern for the personal welfare and spiritual welfare of the marginalized. When I am manic, he allows the creativity he has gifted me with to shine through.

Each church I've served had at least one person who struggled with some degree of mental disorder. Including Hillcrest. Here's hoping you'll think of Rendulic instead of Holmes when you discover this.

(The Rendulic post is from a helpful website on Christian resources for dealing with mental illness, so explore it if you click through to the Rendulic post. If you or someone you love struggles with some sort of mental disorder, let me know. I'll add your concern to my prayer list and I'll suggest some resources that can help.)


 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, this is Matt Rendulic the author of "My Thorn" published by the Christian Standard and used in this blog entry. I appreciate you using my life as an example. May all the glory go to God, as he is the one who provides healing and stability.

It is a tad ironic that this blog entry was posted at a time when I was hospitalized, but God used that for his advantage as well.

Check out my blog sometime at http://www.42funeralslastyear.com

yours,
Matt

Tom Goodman said...

Thanks for stopping by Matt. Interesting weblog you have--thanks for linking to it.