Pages

Monday, October 01, 2012

"I need a warrior that will break my rebellion and will refuse not to have my heart"

A previous generation of youth ministers liked to extend the invitation of salvation by saying, "This is your call. God's a gentleman, who won't invade your life unwillingly. You have to make up your own mind."

Mike Leake wants you to know that, when it comes to Christ's offer of salvation and life-change, Jesus isn't an aloof "gentleman" who offers and then steps back to let you make your own dumb decision. No, but he is a passionate warrior, not afraid to interfere and intervene.

Thank God.

According to Leake, this is good needs for the being-converted, not just the need-to-be-converted. Here's a portion:

I’ve been dealing with quite a bit lately. The Lord has chosen this season in my life to open up old wounds and to go into deep dark places in my soul that I never wanted light to shine. Yet he’s doing that. He’s tearing me to pieces and making me feel things and think about things and remember things that I never wanted to. He’s…dare I say it…forcing me to be authentic and honest.

And...as He is opening up these dark recesses in my heart there are times when I’m shaking my fist at God and screaming at Him to leave me alone!

And I guess a gentleman would do just that. He’d let me deal with things on my terms and not his. When I scream out “leave me alone” He would listen and just wait for me to heal and wait until I am ready for this barrage of somewhat unwanted emotions. He’d allow me to keep things in the dark and never actually address them.

But Jesus isn’t merely a gentleman. He’s a devoted lover. He’s a faithful friend. He’s the Lord of the universe and He’s staking claim on my soul. I don’t need a gentleman, I need a warrior. I need a warrior that will break my rebellion and will refuse not to have my heart. I need love. I need a God that will overcome my stubborn rebellion with His relentless love.

...

It’s not a gentleman Jesus that’s asking my permission before opening every door. It’s a warrior that is the Lord whose saying, “Mike, we’re going to deal with this stuff”. And he’s ripping and tearing. He’s healing and comforting. He’s proving Himself to be both Lord and Savior.

I’m glad Jesus is so much more than gentleman.

Good stuff. Read the rest.

 

No comments: