Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Links to Your World, Tuesday September 10

What does the fox say? Wired says the viral video isn't totally wrong.

 

How texting turns us into liars.

 

Well, why didn't you just say so? Doug Wilson's one-sentence summary of the Syrian thing: "I want Congress to authorize something I don’t believe they need to authorize, and which I reserve the right to do anyway whether or not they authorize it, in order that I might defend the credibility of a red line I didn’t actually draw, so that I may take decisive action that will not in any way affect the momentum of the Syrian civil war or, if it accidentally does, al-Qaeda will the stronger for it, in order that I might have a chance to do what I have spent a decade yelling about other people doing."

 

Be prepared or trust God?

 

In high school I considered a career in genetics while uncertain about my call to ministry. So, this article fascinated me: "Scientists have known for decades that genes can vary their level of activity, as if controlled by dimmer switches....This variable gene activity, called gene expression, is how your body does most of its work....Our social lives can change our gene expression with a rapidity, breadth, and depth previously overlooked....'You can’t change your genes. But if we’re even half right about all this, you can change the way your genes behave—which is almost the same thing.'" Some real implications here for the science-level debate over free will, lessons on the effects of social isolation, and some caution on the over-simplified argument that, "Baby, you were born this way."

 

"Our understanding of the biology of mental disorders has been slow in coming, but recent advances like these have shown us that mental disorders are biological in nature, that people are not responsible for having schizophrenia or depression, and that individual biology and genetics make significant contributions." NYT

 

What’s Schizophrenia Like? A Woman Who Hears Voices Explains It Beautifully:

 

 

No comments: