Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Links to Your World, Tuesday October 15

The average cell phone user accesses his or her phone screen 10 times an hour

 

Welcome to BridesThrowingCats. It's brides throwing cats--what else were you expecting?

 

Another reason Alamo's the only place to watch a film: Madonna banned for refusing to stop texting during a flick.

 

How to cut toast.

 

"I do not think that the evolutionary ‘explanations’ for consciousness that are currently doing the rounds are going to get us anywhere. These explanations do not address the hard problem itself, but merely the ‘easy’ problems that orbit it like a swarm of planets around a star. The hard problem’s fascination is that it has, to date, completely and utterly defeated science. Nothing else is like it. We know how genes work, we have (probably) found the Higgs Boson; but we understand the weather on Jupiter better than we understand what is going on in our own heads. This is remarkable." Michael Hanlon for Aeon.

 

More people who live together are introducing their partners as their fiancé, despite no actual plans to get married.

 

Malcolm Gladwell, on his return to faith while writing his latest book: "I realized what I had missed. It wasn't an 'I woke up one morning' kind of thing. It was a slow realization something incredibly powerful and beautiful in the faith that I grew up with that I was missing. Here I was writing about people of extraordinary circumstances and it slowly dawned on me that I can have that too."

 

This family who survived the terror of the Nairobi mall serve with our International Mission Board. Katherine Walton has been I nterviewed by “The Today Show,” “Good Morning America,” TIME and People magazines and even Glamour magazine.

 

No comments: