Pages

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Personal Reflection in Light of the Election

by Tom Goodman




In this Sunday’s service, I led a time of personal reflection in light of the November 8 election. Here are the notes and questions I had in my hand as I led you. I thought it might be helpful to post them as you continue to take personal inventory. 

Politics are important but not ultimate.

There's a lot at stake: immigration policy, health care, religious liberty, abortion policy, Supreme Court Justices. Not to mention the character of the man or woman we want representing our nation the next four years. Clearly participation in the political process is important. 

But let’s distinguish what is important from what is ultimate. What is ultimate is grasping what Jesus has done for us and living out what he expects of us.

In our church, we use the acronym “HILL” to remember what he expects of us. Each letter in the word “HILL” reminds us of one of four actions he expects us to take. Bow in prayer and let’s ask ourselves some questions at each of these four actions. I’m going to lead us in a prayer up the HILL.

H: Honor the Lord of Life: After I vote on Nov 8, will I wake up Nov 9 trusting that God works out his purposes? Does the way I express my anxiety about this election reflect a lack of faith in God? Does the way I talk about this election reveal that I’m more dependent on Washington than on the throne room of heaven?
(Lead in a prayer thanking God for revealing himself to us.)
I: Invite Your World to Life: Do I work as hard to persuade people to my Jesus as I do to persuade people to vote my way? Do I present my political opinions in such a manner that alienates me from the people I’m called to reach for Jesus?
(Lead in a prayer thanking God for the Great Commission he’s placed in our hands.)
L: Love the Fellowship for Life: Jesus said, “A new commandment I give to you: Love one another so the world can see that I sent you.” Do I recognize that what I have in common with another believer across the political divide means more than what I have in common with a nonbeliever within my political convictions? Do I work to understand my fellow believers who differ with me on how the country ought to be run?
(Lead in a prayer thanking God for the spiritual family he’s placed us in.)
L: Live the Word in Life: Does the time I spend in the Word come close to the time I spend on TV and radio and social media? Am I letting my priorities and my passions and my way of dealing with political opponents be shaped by media personalities instead of by the eternal word of God?
(Lead in a prayer thanking God for his Word.)











No comments: