Pages

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Characteristics of the next BGCT Executive Director

Last night there was a "listening session" in Austin for people to discuss the process of finding a new BGCT Executive Director. I missed the meeting, but I'll throw in my two-cents here:

I'm looking for someone who doesn't see the SBC as the enemy.

Someone famously said, "If India is the most religious nation on earth and Sweden the least, America has been a nation of Indians run by Swedes." My take on the BGCT is that it's a state convention of people affiliated with the SBC led by people affiliated with the CBF. That has to change if the BGCT wants the next Executive Director to be most like the people he or she will represent.

More to the point, that has to change if the BGCT expects Hillcrest to remain in the fold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this years convention was good news for the BGCT. To only miss electing a president that says he wants to cooperate with the SBC by 40 votes. . . WOW! People have long thought these kind of numbers to be impossible to attain at the BGCT meetings. More people will show up next year if a similar candidate is run. Texas Baptists now have hope. . . they can change things by attending the convention. What a difference a real choice makes.

I have long believed that the minority was controling the majority in Texas. The BGCT 2007 annual meeting has proved my hunch right. This years convention was anything but a victory for the status quo. I believe things have just begun to get interesting in Texas.

Lastly, there is no doubt the BGCT needs change. No one could have done a worse job managing mission funds over the past two years. I pray that there is an even bigger showing at next years convention, and perhaps then competant, Bible believing people will be elected.