Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Song of the Week: Keith Green's "I Pledge My Head to Heaven"

Last week, EMI announced plans to release some new music by Keith Green.

I still remember the July morning in 1982 when I stepped out of the little apartment at Baylor where Diane and I were married college students. I picked up the Waco Tribune-Herald from the doorstep and saw the headline about the death of Green. He and two of his children lost their lives in a plane crash shortly after take-off. He was 28.

Keith Green was a passionate prophetic voice in the nascent CCM (contemporary Christian music) movement born out of the Jesus Movement of the early 70s. Rebecca St. James said:
"I believe my generation needs to know more about Keith Green because he is an example of someone who really stood for God. My generation is desperately in need of encouragement, we need to be given hope. Keith was somebody who gave encouragement, challenge and hope. My generation not only needs to hear about him, but also from him. I think Keith's music will have a wonderful effect on them. They're looking for answers to grab a hold on with both hands and hang on. I want to show truth through my music and my life, but I think that's what Keith has already done. By re-presenting his music to people, he can speak into people's lives today, even though he's been gone all this time."
There's more at this Statesman article, this Boundless page and I recommend this seven-part video series on YouTube. Some of my favorite Green songs include "When I Hear the Praises Start," "There is A Redeemer," "Make My Life a Prayer to You," and the powerful "Asleep in the Light."

For this week's Song of the Week, though, I'm choosing "I Pledge My Head to Heaven." It came from his album So You Wanna to Back to Egypt, which he offered through the mail for free or for what anyone could pay (Diane and I paid a donation and got ours).

Listen for the harmonica at the bridge. That's Bob Dylan, who spent some time at Keith Green's east Texas compound, Last Days Ministries. Shortly after, Dylan announced his commitment to Jesus as his Messiah and released the important album, Slow Train Coming (and the follow-up, Saved).

Here's "I Pledge My Head to Heaven"--

Well, I pledge my head to heaven for the Gospel,
And I ask no man on Earth to fill my needs.

Like the sparrow up above, I am enveloped in His love,
And I trust Him like those little ones, He feeds.

Well I pledge my wife to heaven, for the Gospel,
Though our love each passing day just seems to grow.

As I told her when we wed, I'd surely rather be found dead,
Than to love her more than the one who saved my soul.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever.
I'm your child, and I'm going to follow you,
No matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.

Well I pledge my son to heaven for the gospel.
Though he's kicked and beaten, ridiculed and scorn.
I will teach him to rejoice, and lift a thankful praising voice,
And to be like Him who bore the nails and crown of thorns.

I'm your child, and I want to be in your family forever.
I'm your child, and I'm going to follow you,
No matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.

Well I've had the chance to gain the world, and to live just like a king,
But without your love, it doesn't mean a thing.

[Harmonica by Bob Dylan]

Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost,
Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.

Well I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven,
I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven, for the gospel.
__________________________________________________________
The player for the featured "Song of the Week" can be found on the upper right corner of the weblog for one week.

No comments: