Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Song of the Week: Jars of Clay's "Little Drummer Boy"

In yesterday's Statesman, Eileen Flynn recalled the Advent Wreath ceremony her parents led in her girlhood:

As a little girl, I probably didn't fully appreciate the spiritual significance. But my family's Advent ceremony at least provided a gentle admonition of "It's not Christmas yet. First you must prepare."
Throughout the month of December, the "Song of the Week" feature of this weblog will take you around the candles of the Advent Wreath. The first candle is to remember the hope of the prophecies of Christ's coming. The second candle is to remember the faith and obedience through which the prophecies were fulfilled.

This Sunday, the third candle is lit to remember the invitation that was extended--and accepted--the first Christmas. The Gospel of Luke tells us that angels invited the lowliest of commoners--shepherds. It's a story that reminds us that no matter who you are, God invites you to share in the gift of his Son.

"The Little Drummer Boy" is a fictional account of one of those shepherds. The words and music were composed by Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati and Harry Simeone in 1958. It endures in numerous covers, reminding us to respond to God's invitation by bringing our best to him, no matter how simple our best may be.

The rendition on this week's "Song of the Week" is by the Contemporary Christian Music uber-band, Jars of Clay. It was originally released as an EP in 1995 (iTunes):

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.
__________________________________________________
Do you have some favorite Christmas music? Join the conversation I started last year at Operation Christmas Shoes! The player for the featured "Song of the Week" can be found on the upper right corner of the weblog for one week.

No comments: