Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Facebook's Big Failing

If you're on Facebook, tell me if this has ever happened to you.

Come to think of it, unless you've signed up for e-mail notifications from Facebook, it may be happening to you and you don't even know it.

I'm speaking about Facebook's failure to notify you when people make a "friend request."

I checked the option to receive email notification when there's action on my account (like a message, or a wall note, or a friend request). So, I get emails when someone makes a friend request. It looks like this:

"[Name] added you as a friend on Facebook. We need to confirm that you know [name] in order for you to be friends on Facebook. To confirm this friend request, follow the link below."

On three occasions in the last two days I dutifully click the link and...nothing, nada, zip. No notice anywhere on my Facebook pages that anyone has requested anything of me.

This occasionally happened when I first began on Facebook. It's happened 3 times in the last two days.

I'd really like to keep up with Paul Drake, and I'd like to re-connect with Jackie Hansen and Jimmy Daniel. My email notification service from FBook says they've tried to friend me, but there's absolutely no indication on my site that they've done so, so I can't reply to them. They will simply assume their friend request is being ignored--and I have absolutely no other contact information on one of them, so that's a shame.

What gives? What's the solution?

Has this happened to you?

And . . . if you aren't signed up for email notification, do you even know how many friend requests you've unintentionally ignored?

Drop me a line if you have a similar story--or a solution!

No comments: