Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, John Calvin

“How this beautifully crafted expression and interpretation of God’s loving power appeared from the hand of a 25-year-old exile who had never formally studied theology cannot be adequately explained by historical circumstances.”

That’s a reference to “The Institutes,” John Calvin’s magisterial work of theology, from “Calvin,” a biography just published by Yale University Press by Bruce Gordon, as quoted in the NY Times. Professor Gordon teaches Reformation history at Yale Divinity School.

Today is the 500th anniversary of the birth of John Calvin.

With my references to God’s sovereign control over all, including salvation, I am sometimes asked if I am a Calvinist. I would define my position with exactly the same words Timothy George used in this interview, which you should really take the time to read. Here’s a taste:

I think, in particular, we spend too much time building fences around our backyard and not tending to the foundation on which the building stands. We paint our fences, we hold them up – “I’m this, not that!” – and, in the meantime, the foundations are being eroded. And what you sense and what I’m sensing, I think, is a renewed interest in the foundations. Reformed theology is a way of talking about that. It’s a way of getting in touch with the reality of the faith, with God, with the Scriptures, with Jesus Christ and salvation, with the mission of the church in the world. Reformed theology, at its best, is about those things. It’s not about, “I’m a Baptist, not a Presbyterian,” or, “I’m this kind of Baptist, not that kind of Baptist,” or, “I’m a conservative, not a moderate,” or, “I’m a moderate, not a conservative.” Those types of old-fashioned political distinctions, I think, no longer have the bite they used to. And what’s taking its place among many, not all – we shouldn’t exaggerate this – is this growing interest, and I think reformed theology is one of the things that people can latch on to. They sense it’s real, it’s substantial, you can build your life on it, you can raise a family with it. And I think it is a good thing.
By the way, Timothy George is on a short list of men I’d like to have coffee with. Can anyone set that up?

No comments: