Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Good Question! “Flesh and Bone” and the Resurrection

I have an occasional (very occasional!) segment on this blog called “Good Question!” where I take a stab at questions people send me. (Click the “Good Question” label at the bottom of this post to see previous entries in the series.)

My aunt sent me the following question:

In Luke 24:39, Jesus said, spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me (Jesus) have.  Does this mean Jesus had flesh and bones? I wonder how wonderful Jesus went through the wall. I know God can do anything that we think not possible. Any way, I’d like to know about what it means for him to have flesh and bone after death and now that he’s sitting at the right hand of God? I think not, huh?

Here’s my take:

That's a good question! The Bible says his resurrection body was "flesh and bones" and the Bible also says he appeared in supernatural ways (like in rooms after doors and windows were locked).  Taken together, we have a hint of what our resurrection experience will be like. The Bible says that Christ's resurrection was the "firstfruits" of a much larger harvest to come, which is a reference to our resurrection at the end of time. So we can expect our future resurrection life to be LIKE and UNLIKE what we now experience, just as Christ's resurrection life was LIKE and UNLIKE his life before the cross. The tomb was empty that first Easter Sunday, which lets us know that the resurrection life is tied to this life in some way: it's not just ghostly or immaterial. On the other hand, the resurrection life is so much better than this life. Our bodies won't wear down and die. In 1 Corinthians 15, Paul wrote that we can think of our present life and our resurrection life like a seed and a tree that comes from that seed. There's a connection between the seed and the tree, and yet the tree is far more magnificent than the seed!

It's something to look forward to!

No comments: