Pages

Sunday, December 05, 2010

“This was the very reason you were brought into Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you might know me better there."

Liam Neeson, the voice of Aslan in The Chronicles of Narnia film series, recently said, “Aslan symbolises a Christlike figure, but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries. That’s who Aslan stands for as well as a mentor figure for kids – that’s what he means for me.”

Ah yes, I remember when Mohammed offered himself as a sacrifice on the Stone Table to satisfy the Deeper Magic of his Father, the Emperor from Beyond the Sea. No wait, that was Buddha. No wait, that was--

Oh. Never mind.

Aslan told the children in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader that he was known in their own world. “But there I have another name,” he told them. “You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason you were brought into Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you might know me better there."

A child once asked Lewis to identify Aslan’s other name. His reply to her: "As to Aslan's other name, well I want you to guess. Has there never been anyone in /this/ world who (1.) Arrived at the same time as Father Christmas. (2.) Said that he was the Son of the Great Emperor. (3.) Gave himself up for someone else's fault to be jeered at and killed by wicked people. (4.) Came to life again. (5.) Is sometimes spoken of as a Lamb (see the end of the Dawn Treader). Don't you really know His name in this world? Think it over and let me know your answer!"

No comments: