Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

“For Jennifer, hell was other people thinking she was going to hell”

Eileen Flynn, who has been kind to me and to our church across the years in her articles, did a good job with her faith column in the Statesman today. Probably the best (and most telling) headline and turn-of-phrase I’ve ever read on the subject. The headline: “Hell Matters Even to Those Who Don’t Believe It.” The turn-of-phrase:

Jean-Paul Sartre's tortured character in "No Exit" determined that "hell is other people." For Jennifer, hell was other people thinking she was going to hell.

Oh, that’ll show up in my writing/speaking somewhere down the line.

That said, I want to comment on a few questions raised in the article, and maybe I’ll get those thoughts worked into a useful post when I get some time beyond Easter weekend. In the mean time, here’s Eileen’s article online. Please don’t feed the trolls in the Statesman comments section of her article, but write me and let me know what you’d want me to address in a “Get Anchored” post on the subject.

Until the post, here’s the late great Johnny Hart:

the_man_upstairs_comic

1 comment:

Pastor Pablito said...

"Feed the trolls" ha-ha, that is truly funny Pastor T! Never heard it put that way. :-)
Paul