Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Links to Your World, Tuesday September 25

The Statesman reports on Heath Eiland's family visiting with recipients of organ donations following Heath's death. Touching. The young man was tied in to our church's youth group.

 

Here's why you should read The Hobbit. Do so before seeing the movie in December.

 

Sports Illustrated estimated that 78 percent of NFL players are either bankrupt or in financial distress within two years after their careers end. Wow. From a Statesman story on Vince Young.

 

“This is my ministry,” said Dr. Dutkowsky, 56. “Some people stand next to the ocean to feel the presence of God. I get to see the likeness of God every day. I see children with some amazing deformities. But God doesn’t make mistakes. So they are the image.” Read the NYT story of Dutkowsky here, who says of his work, "Every day in my work I find myself in the revealed glory of God.” I must say that only the NYT would consider it a "man-bites-dog" story that a respected doctor could also be--gasp--a man of faith. The writer must have marvelled at this supposed juxtaposition 4 or 5 times in the brief article. But the story's still a good read.

 

"Because I do believe in miracles, I know that Chancellor will be better. We're gonna give him lots of love, and I know that God is, is working things out already for him to be totally and completely well. And in my heart, even though Rae Carruth has not shown one single ounce of remorse, to me or anyone in my family, there's not been one 'I'm sorry about what happened to your daughter.' But in my heart, because I'm a Christian, as an act of my will, and because I know it's out of obedience to God, I am forgiving Rae Carruth." Oh, this Sports Illustrated story is worth your time, friends.


How Christian denominations are like NFL teams.




Be more creative: Live longer.






What You Should Save By 35, 45, and 55 To Be On Target for Retirement






"If you are interested in the historical Jesus, this is much ado about not very much." Ben Witherington provides the best line from an NBC News story about the brief ballyhoo about a fragment purported to be from a 4th century Gnostic sect referencing Jesus' wife. Here is the NBC story. Here is a helpful commentary from Albert Mohler, who deems the who story as "sensationalism masquerading as scholarship."






Eric Metaxas explains why gay marriage will take away religious liberty.

















 

No comments: