Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"It matters the matter one mind collects"

Here's one from Christian Wiman, in his book My Bright Abyss:

Varieties
of quiet

I quote
from a poet

no one knows.
And no one

knows
me too

if by chance
happening

here
some far year

when I am
not:

it matters
I tell you

it matters
the matter

one mind
collects,

one memory
protects

when memory's
kin

to that wordless
feeling

words
open in your head:

varieties
of quiet

varieties
of quiet

There are many
friend

as many
as the dead.

I like this Christian Wiman poem, but not so much because of the phrase that captured his attention ("varieties of quiet"). What captured my attention was his need to preserve in written form what had impressed him: Though he says, "no one knows me too," even so, "It matters I tell you/ it matters the matter/ one mind collects/ one memory protects."

 

No comments: