Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

This week's newsletter from Karen

I read* today about a school in British Columbia that is spending part of school class time teaching preteens (4th-6th graders) proper behavior on social media sites. Jay Donaldson, who teaches the class, says, “Although children now have cellphones…at the age of 9 or 10, they are rarely educated…on the safe and correct use of these communication devices.”

As a parent of a teenager and a young adult, I have found out (sometimes the hard way) that giving access to a preteen/teenager to the WORLD via a cellphone is not always a good idea. At first I justified their need for a phone in terms of safety – he/she needs a cellphone in case they need to reach me in an emergency. My next justification came in terms of my need – he/she needs a cellphone because it helps me know where they are. Then I moved onto justifications based on their needs – you know, all their friends have them and it will be easier for them to keep in contact with friends at school to ask about homework, rehearsals, etc. Then I just quit justifying.

Does your preteen have a cellphone? Do they have access to social media sites via the cellphone? Have you taken the time to properly educate them on the safe and correct use of their cellphone as it pertains to social media sites?

Would a class for parents and/or preteens regarding the proper use of cellphones in the social media sphere be useful?

If so, let me know.



*Social Network School.  (2015, January/February).  Children’s Ministry, p. 19

No comments: