Pages

Sunday, February 08, 2015

Refining the Troops

by Tom Goodman

Our Common Ground groups are studying Gideon’s elite 300 this morning. In verse 4, what was the verb that was used to describe what God planned to do to the army down by the water? Here is the verb in several translations:

NIV: “Take them down to the water, and I will thin them out for you there.”

GNT: “Take them down to the water, and I will separate them for you there.”

NET: “Bring them down to the water and I will thin the ranks some more.”

Msg: “Take them down to the stream and I’ll make a final cut.”

HCSB: “Take them down to the water, and I will test them for you there.”

NASB: “Bring them down to the water and I will test them for you there.

ESV: “Take them down to the water, and I will test them for you there.”

NLT: “There are still too many! Bring them down to the spring, and I will test them to determine who will go with you and who will not.”

KJV: “Bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there.”

No comments: