Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

This week's newsletter from Karen

I wrote the following article in 2013 the week my son left for school. As I approach the next few weeks getting ready for my daughter to make the same journey, I find myself in almost the same position. Always good to remember how faithful God is to be with us no matter where we find ourselves.

For better or worse, I’m an organized, structured, and detail-oriented person. I want things planned and I want to be able to study the plans several days in advance and have the opportunity to change them to make them more organized, structured, and detailed. This past week God did not afford me this luxury. Ugh! My very nature was being challenged and I was afraid I would “lose it.” Then the following Scripture came to my mind…

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7, NIV).

I can honestly say that I have never experienced this kind of peace until last week. I had to take many deep breaths and pray through different challenges. And just as promised, His peace – which I did not understand - guarded my mind and my heart. I was then able to look at each situation from a different perspective. This was so important because my son was closely observing my reactions for cues on how he should feel.

Parents, there are so many things that can distract us and keep us anxious. Our children are watching us to see how to react when these things come into our lives. Next time you are faced with this anxiety, I urge you to remember these verses and let God’s peace guard your heart and mind to see things from a different perspective – His perspective.

No comments: