Pages

Friday, January 19, 2007

The INVITE Strategy

Most of you know Herb Ingram, my friend and colleague at Hillcrest. Herb is in charge of outreach and our ministry to adults. He has a new blog called Herbal Essence (get it?). He has started his weblog with an overview of our "INVITE Strategy" at Hillcrest.

The INVITE Strategy was created by Herb, Jim Siegel (our minister to students), and me. Over lunch at an area restaurant, we talked about what we liked and (mostly) disliked with evangelism training programs we had led. I pulled out a pen, turned over the restaurant's paper napkin, and said, "Look, what's the natural way that you and I engage people in a discussion of the gospel?"

Across the next half-hour, the three of us came up with six steps, and codified them in the acrostic "I.N.V.I.T.E." We encourage our congregation to take up the challenge of 1 Chronicles 13:2 (NLT), "Let us invite them to come and join us." It involves six steps:

I--Identify your THEMs. You'll have to see Herb's first post to understand who a "THEM" is.

N--Nurture an authentic relationship with your THEMs

V--Verify the spiritual condition of your THEMs

I--Introduce your THEMs to your church family

T--Tell your THEM your faith story

E--Encourage THEM to cross the line of faith
I encourage you to keep up with Herb's blog as he introduces these six steps. Try out the six steps yourself and write Herb about your progress. If you live in the Austin area, be sure to attend the one-day "INVITE Strategy Seminar" this Spring. More about that later!

No comments: