Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Links to Your World, Tuesday, Nov 20

NPR reports on Southern Baptist’s newest hymnal: Hymnal Update Stirs Debate Across Baptist Church


In “Answering the Atheists,” Stan Guthrie responds to the recent spate of anti-theistic bestsellers with 10 reasons why he is a Christian. It’s a quick read, and worth passing along to others.


In “What I Learned from Wilberforce,” Bob Beltz explains five things he learned about changing the world from the man who abolished slavery in Britain. The popular film about the work of Wilberforce, Amazing Grace, was released last Tuesday.


Man Collapses in His Car; Meter Maid Tickets It


This guy is nostalgic about the old way of communicating--you know . . . e-mail: “While IMs and text messages have a throwaway quality, e-mail is for the sentimental. I still have some of the first flirtatious e-mails I exchanged with my wife in college. I have thoughtful monologues from friends in the midst of crises. I have e-mails from my parents that I envision showing to my children someday. Aw.”


“Being poor sucks. It's hard to figure out the secrets of the universe when you're trying to figure out where you and your girlfriend are going to sleep next month.” Read about the “surfer dude” who spends most of his time surfing and snowboarding but is wowing scientists with his theories.

The tradition is alive and well: National Geographic examines 21st Century cowboys.


Girls get extra school help while boys get Ritalin


“The most persuasive conversion narratives recount not merely emotional surrenders to faith but also intellectual grapplings with it. . . . The Road to Damascus is paved with theology not therapy.” Which Way to the Damascus Road?


Lost in Translation: Men and women communicate differently.


Most adults who attended religious services as a child are glad they did


Every little boy’s dream! This kid saved his sister from a fire . . . while wearing his Spiderman suit. (HT: Susan)


“Well, I think the church is a wonderful place for social experiments,” McLaren said. “My Dodge Dart isn’t.” (Progressive Christian Leaders’ Wives Allowed Behind Pulpit, but Not Behind Wheel)


It's too early to say if I'll vote for Mike Huckabee when the time comes, but he's sure making the race fun:




Have you read the previous posts this week? They include the "Song of the Week" (A new series on hymns continues with "O Worship the King" by Chris Tomlin), a worthy Christmas project to support, and a post about podcasts I like to listen to.

No comments: