Pages

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Song of the Week: Trace Adkins' "Then They Do"

This custom has developed over the 2 years of this blog to post (and comment on) a "Song of the Week" each Sunday. Call this one "Confessions of a First-Year Empty Nester." Both boys are in college this year, 90 minutes away in Waco. Three months into their absence, more and more childhood recollections come more and more to mind. In no chronological order, I recall:

Three year old Michael insisting our newborn Stephen can talk " a little bit."

Walking around the neighborhood as preschool Michael rode his "Ninja-Turtles-theme" bike with the training wheels (and convincing him I saw a Ninja Turtle in the storm drain).

Pushing preschool Michael in the baby swing on back porch in Baton Rouge after getting home from the office. I'd try to "sneak read" a few articles from my Time magazine while pushing him and listening to him sing, but he'd notice and reach back every time the swing came to me to swipe at the magazine and say, "No, listen to me!"

Laying with preschool Stephen in an Eastland hospital bed watching Blues Clues. Recurrent allergies and asthma complicated much of his babyhood and preschool years. What I remember most about his learning-to-talk years was an 0ften-raspy and squeaky voice.

I also remember Stephen having trouble with his "L's" when he learned to talk, so his favorite friend Link would be "yink," Link's sister Libby would be "yibby," and the color yellow would be "yeyo."

Michael had his unique words, too. Diane and I still prefer to suggest a "sammich" for lunch, and remark on the "papartments" near our house, and enjoy "blanas" (bananas).

I recall the first scene in a movie that provoked baby Michael's laughter: the moment Tramp in Lady and Tramp shook himself clean after being doused with water.

I remember running the chains for Michael's 1st grade flag football team, and seeing him run for 20 yards on first time he got the ball.

The time comes to mind when Stephen soundly beat me in checkers to hold me to the promise to teach him chess only after he could beat me in checkers. He was in kindergarten. He went on to be a real competitor in chess in elementary school.

More and more of these stories come to mind in this quiet house. So this week, Trace Adkins fits my mood. Here's "Then They Do"--




Then They Do Trace Adkins

In the early rush of morning,
Trying to get the kids to school:
One's hanging on my shirt-tail,
Another's locked up in her room.
And I'm yelling up the stairs:
"Stop worrying 'bout your hair, you look fine."

Then they're fightin' in the backseat,
And I'm playing referee.
Now someone's gotta go,
The moment that we leave.
And everybody's late,
I swear that I can't wait till they grow up.

Then they do, and that's how it is.
It's just quiet in the mornin',
Can't believe how much you miss,
All they do and all they did.
You want all the dreams they dreamed of to come true:
Then they do.

Now the youngest is starting college,
She'll be leavin' in the Fall.
And Brianna's latest boyfriend,
Called to ask if we could talk.
And I got the impression,
That he's about to pop the question any day.

I look over at their pictures,
Sittin' in their frames.
I see them as babies:
I guess that'll never change.
You pray all their lives,
That someday they will find happiness.

Then they do, and that's how it is.
It's just quiet in the mornin',
Can't believe how much you miss,
All they do and all they did.
You want all the dreams they dreamed of to come true:
Then they do.

No more Monday PTA's,
No carpools, or soccer games.
Your work is done.
Now you've got time that's all your own.
You've been waitin' for so long,
For those days to come.

Then they do, and that's how it is.
It's just quiet in the mornin',
Can't believe how much you miss,
All they do and all they did.
You want all the dreams they dreamed of to come true:
Then they do.

Ah, then they do.

No comments: