Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Remembering Paul Meyer


Paul Meyer died on Monday at 81 after a battle with cancer.

I met Paul and Jane while serving in the Cayman Islands. He was very supportive of the church I led, and surprised Diane and me with generous expressions of appreciation from time to time. My boys will remember working out with me in Paul and Jane's gym, climbing in their sea grape trees before a seaside baptism at their home, and staying in his Colorado home for skiing.

Our ministry was only a small part of his philanthropy, though. As the editorial in the Waco Tribune Herald reminds us, the Paul & Jane Meyer Family Foundation "has given away $65 million since 1984. And no more than 15 percent of that money has gone to groups outside of Waco. In fact, each month, the Meyers donated about $200,000 to McLennan County causes."

Paul was also a writer, and some of his most influential material was about challenging others to find the joy that he had found in generosity.

Diane and I plan to be at the funeral this Friday and express our condolences to Jane.

(photo from Waco Tribune Herald, which reported Paul's passing here)

No comments: