Pages

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Song of the Week: "Awake My Soul" by Mumford and Sons

London's indie band, Mumford and Sons, released their album, Sigh No More, to the U.S. market in February. They're coming to Austin June 9. Click the player to hear "Awake My Soul"--



You can hear the whole album at Lala. I'm a new listener, and my only knowledge of the band comes from the lyrics on this album. So correct me if I'm wrong, but on several of the songs the writer expresses a faith he has yet to grasp (or has abandoned). In "Roll Away Your Stone" for example, you can almost hear him gently pushing back against a Christian friend or relative trying to explain to him "how this grace thing works." But in "Awake My Soul," he comes closer to acknowledging his need for faith than on any other track. Stylistically, don't you love how it builds in intensity?

No comments: