Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

“The trip-wire for me is the issue of human life”

Albert Mohler, writing before the health care bill passed:

I have refrained from extended comment on the health care reform bills — not because I do not have multiple concerns about the bills, but because I recognize that committed Christians can and will disagree over the political and policy issues involved. The trip-wire for me is the issue of human life. The current bill spells disaster when it comes to abortion. I cannot remain silent in this crucial moment where the sanctity of human life is at stake.

I, too, have tried to limit my objections to the health care reform proposals in Congress to one concern: abortion funding. There are worthy arguments on both sides of President Obama’s heath care reform. But, as Dr. Mohler put it, “The trip-wire for me is the issue of human life.” 

When it came to assurance that federally-subsidized health care would not force taxpayers to pay for abortion, our hope was in Rep. Bart Stupak and his coalition of pro-life Democrats. Stupak wanted the language of the historic Hyde Amendment as a part of the health care reform bill.  (The Hyde Amendment for years has prevented federal funding of abortion). Sadly, they gave up their push for the Stupak amendment to the bill on the promise of an Executive Order that the health care bill would maintain the protections historically provided by the Hyde Amendment.

Most pro-life leaders fear the Executive Order is toothless, and that even its rather limited force is in force only as long as Congress continues to support the Hyde Amendment (which they vote on annually).

Good summary of the reaction from pro-life leaders here.

No comments: