Pages

Friday, March 05, 2010

What Does Your Heart Search For? Google and God Know

Tim Challis:

In 2006 AOL made available to the public a massive amount of search data, releasing the search history of 650,000 users over a 3-month period. That totaled some twenty one million searches….Some searches were dark and disturbing, others unremarkable in every way, and still others strangely amusing. Often you could reconstruct a person's life, at least in part, from what they searched for over a period of time….What is so amazing about these searches is the way people transition seamlessly from the normal and mundane to the outrageous and perverse. They are, thus, an apt reflection of real life….These searches are a glimpse into the hearts of the people who made them.

This all raises two great questions in my mind. First, would I be prepared to have my searches revealed to the public…? The second question is whether I would be prepared to address my search history with God. What would I say to him if he were to ask me about the things I have gone looking for online. Could I tell him with confidence that what I have sought is an indication of a heart that is aligned with his purposes? Or would I have to confess that my searches point to a heart that is drawn to what is evil and perverse?

You should read “God Watches You Google” by Tim Challis.

No comments: