Pages

Saturday, May 01, 2010

“Neighboring Faiths” and the Gospel

You can read Eileen Flynn’s coverage of our “Neighboring Faiths” interview series in this Saturday’s Statesman (online here). I particularly liked the comments she included from three of our members (Melissa McKanna, Erin Waldo, and Jim Steed). 

Eileen was instrumental in the early planning for this series. In the Fall, I asked her for recommendations of religious leaders I could enlist for this series. Her suggestions got the process started, and no doubt it was easier to recruit the leaders by mentioning to them that she had recommended I call them.

One quibble with the article. In explaining what made this event unique, she left the impression that the gospel was not shared:

I've known ministers who view the world's faiths simply as different paths up the same mountain. They're open to the idea of multiple truths and would never dream of proselytizing to non-Christians.

I've known other ministers who see interaction with non-Christians as a must-witness-for-Christ situation. To them, not sharing the Gospel with a Muslim or Hindu is a missed opportunity.

Neither approach suited Goodman.

In fact, the Gospel was shared the first three nights, and I expect to share it in the last interview tomorrow.

Now, to many, “sharing the Gospel” hasn’t happened unless there’s a formal presentation such as the Four Spiritual Laws or the Roman Road, followed by a formal appeal to cross the line of faith. Eileen was correct to report that the “Neighboring Faiths” interviews did not include this kind of “sharing the Gospel.”

Oh, but the Gospel was shared.  In every interview, I challenged my friends on the adequacy of their optimistic view of human nature: that our own moral efforts are enough to pass muster with God. And I communicated the Christian message that, since our moral efforts are insufficient, we depend upon Christ. In fact, Imam Islam was already so familiar with the Christian story that he completed my explanation of the Gospel for me!

Further opportunity to apply the Gospel to the interviews happened afterward. I concluded each night by giving my friends a copy of my book, The Anchor Course: Exploring Christianity Together. I also referred the audience to the Resource Table where they could purchase books that enabled them to better understand the faith of their neighbors and communicate our gospel convictions if/when the occasions arise.

Understanding and communication: That was the dual aim of this interview series.

I hope you can join us for the last interview tomorrow night with Buddhist priest David Zuniga. It’s at the Hillcrest auditorium, May 2, 5:30 p.m.

And listen for the Gospel as I interview David. It’ll be in there.

No comments: