Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

“What I find is that Lost occupies that level of conversation”

ET’s Jeff Jensen, in an interview with CT, says the themes in Lost can begin spiritual conversation:

I grew up in a Christian culture. My primary mandate as a Christian is to evangelize and convert people to Christianity. What I find in my life is when I talk to people who are not religious at all, the conversation can't begin with, "Meet my friend Jesus." These are people who don't believe in God. They don't believe in supernatural possibilities. They don't believe in universal values, ideas like redemption, or good or evil as concepts that are real. These are good, decent, thoughtful, intelligent people. There's something about the way they were raised, the culture we live in, and the world in these times; these things are so deconstructed and have been so poorly modeled that they can't even believe in these larger ideas. We can't even begin to put a face on them like Jesus. We have to talk about these ideas and whether you could believe them. What I find is that Lost occupies that level of conversation. Do you even believe in things like redemption? What is redemption, really? Do you believe in something like good; do you believe in something like evil? Do you believe that these objective values actually even exist? Do you believe that all you are is just stuff? Are you supernatural and natural? Is there spirit in the world or are you a spiritual creature?

No comments: