Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

This week's newsletter from Karen

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  (Philippians 4:11-13; NIV)

Try this at home: Have each family member act out (without talking) a commercial they have seen on TV and see if others can tell what product they are trying to sell.

Advertisements for products on television, the radio, and social media are all geared toward convincing us that our lives are not good enough with what we have. These messages try to convince us we need more of what the advertiser is trying to sell in order to be happy.

What makes you happy?
What makes you unhappy?
According the verses above, what was Paul’s secret to being content?

My prayer this week is that we will all be content with what God has provided for us and not feel the need to make the Christmas season about getting, but, instead, make it about being grateful to a loving God who made himself human to come into our world in order to save us from our sure demise.

No comments: