Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Operation Christmas Shoes

'Tis the season for Christmas music, and I want to hear from you. What are your favorite songs of the season?

Your most beloved Christmas carols . . .
New Christmas worship music . . .
Your most played renditions . . .
Favorites from "secular" artists . . .

I'm calling this "Operation Christmas Shoes." Don't get the title confused with Franklin Graham's worthy project, "Operation Christmas Child." No, my little project is named after the song, "Christmas Shoes," heard a mind-numbing every halfhour on any station dedicated to 24 hours of holiday music between Thanksgiving and Christmas:
Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir,
Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight
And the singer closes by saying:
God had sent that little boy
To remind me just what Christmas is all about
Now, I'm gonna get some responses from people who love this sappy tearjerker, I know. But, really, is this "what Christmas is all about"?

We can do better. What are your nominations for favorite Christmas songs? Sovereign Grace Music has a fine new song called "Hope Has Come," and many of the musicians on the "City on a Hill" project have given us some good stuff on their album, "Come Let Us Adore Him." Stephen Curtis Chapman has some memorable tunes, and Kathy Mattaea's version of "Mary Did You Know" ought to get lots of airplay. Michael W. Smith's 1989 project, "Christmas" deserves to be played in its entirity without interruption. Even many of the artists on "A Very Special Christmas" (up to Volume 3 now) treat their chosen Christmas songs reverently.

I have about six hours of Christmas music on my iPod, from the silly to the serene to the sacred. I'd love to hear your nominations for meaningful Christmas music.

You can write me, but I'd prefer you left a comment at the website so others could benefit from your suggestions, too.

Forward this weblog link to a friend so they can join the conversation, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVELOVELOVE Christmas music, so I will gladly provide my faves for the various categories.

As for new stuff, I just got Leigh Nash's new Christmas album, Wishing For This. It's great! Especially 'Eternal Gifts.'

I've always adored 'O Holy Night', but my new favorite Christmas Hymn is 'One Small Child.' So wonderful!!!

I have to list my 2 favorite Harry Connick, Jr Christmas songs: '(It Must Have Been Ol') Santa Claus' & 'I Pray On Christmas.' They're both on his When My Heart Finds Christmas CD.

This is a little weird, but my favorite rendition of a popular Christmas song is Donny Osmond's version of 'Mary, Did You Know.' Beautiful.

My favorite holiday CD by a secular band is Barenaked for the Holidays, by the Barenaked Ladies. There are 3 Hanukkah songs thrown into the mix, but the rest is an enjoyable collection of standards and originals (including a duet with Michael Buble & one with Sarah McLachlan on 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen / We Three Kings' which is superb).

OK. I'm done.

Anonymous said...

"The Blenders" is a group of guys who sing acapella (spelling?). They are absolutely great. It's upbeat and happy. I love it. I have 2 of their Christmas CD's. Both are great.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Christmas Carol is "Silent Night," though it got blasted by a pastor of mine a few years ago because it wasn't silent the night Jesus was born (all those heavenly host and barn animals, ya know). My favorite secular Christmas song is "Please Come Home for Christmas" by Charles Brown (the original version).

I, like Erin, love Harry Connick's "It Must Have Been Old Santa Claus" and the Barenaked Ladies' CD. I try to buy one new Christmas CD per year, and this year it's "Jingle Bell Rock: Malt Shop Merry Christmas," a Target special! It's got "Nuttin' for Christmas," "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth," and other standards I loved as a child.

I agree with Tom about MWS' first Christmas CD being played in its entirety. It's a beautiful piece of work. As is Nat King Cole's CD.

Tom Goodman said...

Here is a comment sent in by my cousin:

Hey,

I'm not in to the whole blogger/web comment thing but thought I'd mention that my list of favorite Christmas tunes would require a short novel, however, I believe that Celine Deon's rendition of " Oh Holy Night" deserves special mention. Her voice is a gift from God and I've never heard a more moving version of the hymn. I have trouble not crying every time I listen. It's well worth the cost of the CD. Hope y'all are having a terrific holiday season. Merry Christmas !!!

Love Johnny

Anonymous said...

Il Divo has a great Christmas collection. -- Aunt Arlene