Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Passion Again

A few years ago, a job placement service ran this Super Bowl ad with children talking about what they want to be when they grow up:



The commercial was so effective because it touched on the disconnect some of us have between what we wanted to be and what we are.

Let me play off that line. When you became a new believer, I doubt you said:

“In the future, I hope to lose all interest in prayer.”
“I want staying current with my TV shows to be more important to me than influencing people’s lives.”
“I hope to complain and groan more than I do now.”
“I want to lose my passion for working in God’s service.”
I doubt that was what you thought about in those days and months following your conversion. No, I think that when you first committed your life to Christ, your days were filled with purpose and dreams and expectancy and energy. I’m sure you were willing to rearrange anything and everything about your life in order to please God.

Since that time, though, some ask, “What happened? My fire has died down, my passion has faded.”

As for me, my passion for God rises and falls. At times, I burn intensely for him: I consume his word like food, I pray expecting miracles and I share my faith without hesitation. But at other times, the passion cools: I coast, my prayers go flat, and I turn inward in self-pity. I bet that’s your story, too.

Colossians 2:6-7 tells us how to fan our faith into flame again: “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”

This Sunday, November 19, we’re going to look carefully how to continue in Christ. If you live in Austin, join us this Sunday at Hillcrest at 9:30am or 10:45am, or catch the sermon online next Monday (iTunes or website).

No comments: