Pages

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Nice Note

I got a great note from Jaime Babcock. (She told me her mom named her after the Bionic Woman.) If you don't attend Hillcrest, the "Gene" she refers to is our music minister at Hillcrest, and the "Patty" she refers to leads with her husband a growing Sunday School class of young couples. Jaimie gave me permission to share it on the weblog:

Hello Tom and Gene,

I know Patty forwarded my praise about my job to y'all, but I wanted to also forward the praise I sent to her about the way Hillcrest has rewarded my life because this experience has made me wonder at how differently I reacted to this situation than I have to others like it before, and I wondered why, and I think I know.

I have always been a religious person, and a nearly regular attender of church before college, but I'd been out of practice for a really long time, and I had never been involved in something as wonderful as a church choir (which was really the first amazing opportunity I had to really form relationships here), and I'd certainly never participated in Sunday schools or activites outside of just service. But I think I might have been one of Patty's THEMs, because ever since I joined choir, she, from the very beginning, took me under her wing in friendship and encouraged me to come to sunday school or to various parties they were having with their group. And though I was reluctant, Patty kept at me in that beautiful loving way that she has, and finally, I thought, "I know Patty. She is a great person, so anything she's involved in must be great too." So, I've gotten involved, and doing so has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

To actively engage in a message through Sunday school, ask questions, hear from my peers, support each other through these emails and prayer requests, it has truly been a blessing. I never knew a church experience could be so meaningful. As I say below, without it, I think I might have missed this opportunity to let go and let God. I wouldn't have had the courage I think. And if I had, I would not have had many people to share it with. So, this praise was a blessing, and I am thankful for the class and the test of faith. But what's more is I am thankful for the people who have bolstered me in preparation for that hard time and who have been so loving in their support of me through times like this. That is a really new and really special thing for me.

So, I just wanted to take a minute to let y'all know how important Hillcrest has been to me and my family, how much I cherish and appreciate the efforts that people like Paul and Patty and Gene and my classmates have made to make this a home and get me involved, and just to let y'all know what a great job you and your staff are doing. I don't know how often people tell you that, probably a lot, but you have truly made a difference in my life, strengthened my faith, and given me the opportunity to recognize these acts of God and an outlet to share them. And I wanted to thank you for that.

No comments: