Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Impressed With the Witness of a Good Man

I don't respect people who don't proselytize.

Sure, you'd expect a line like that coming from me. But that was from Penn Jillette, a comedian and illusionist who happens to be an outspoken atheist. He was describing a recent encounter he had with a Christian. Penn says:

I don't respect people who don't proselytize. If you believe that there's a heaven and hell, and people could be going to hell, and you think, 'Well, it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward'... How much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming at you and you didn’t believe it and that truck was bearing down on you, there’s a certain point where I tackle you—and this [eternal life] is more important than that….This guy was a really good guy, and he cared enough about me to proselytize and give me a Bible.
Thus endeth the lesson.

Video:



HT: Ed Stetzer

1 comment:

writerandy said...

Wow, that's a kick in the seat!