Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

This week's newsletter from Karen

More and more I’m noticing that kids have a lack of contentment. There is a constant need to be like others or to have what others have. Our 24-hour, media-driven, consumer culture is a large part of the reason kids (and adults) today have this constant need to have better things or better circumstances.

Contentment is defined as the “state of being satisfied.” In His Word, God talks about being content. Here are a couple of examples:

Hebrews 13:5 reads, “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Philippians 4:11-13 reads, “Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”

Why be content? First, if we are not content with our possessions or circumstances, we are distracted from how God might be using these for His purposes. Second, we cease to be thankful to God for all the good things that He has provided.

Take one day this week and play this game. Every time someone (parents included) starts to complain, find a way they can be thankful to God instead. For example, if someone complains about a food they have to eat, they should thank God that they have food to eat. Teach your children to be content on how and what God is providing in their lives. Learning this lesson early will help them always see God at work in downs and ups this life will bring.



No comments: